Monday, May 10, 2010

16.2

2). NEW QUESTION: Review the Observation of an Outside Group project. What did you find useful/not useful? Did you like this project? Why/why not? Why did you choose the group you observed for this project? In short, briefly introduce your project to the members of the class, and discuss its usefulness, frustrations, etc.... (I expect for most, that the answer to this question will be quite long - go ahead and make it as long as you'd like).

I ended up observing a small ESL group at a local library near Oakridge Mall. It was hard to decide on what kind of group I wanted to observe and also where to look for one as well that met at least twice in the class's time frame. I observed three of their meetings and it was educational to see the teaching methods that went into teaching ESL students. The only thing that was confusing/"not useful" about this project is the structure of it (ie, how many concepts to apply, if it's supposed to be the same structure/headings as the other essays, etc). I noticed this assignment sheet wasn't as detailed as the Group Facilitation and Movie Analysis. The observation and writing about it was educational and I learned skills, as always in this class, pertaining to the topic and with analyzing a small group etc, but the other two projects were definitely more enjoyable to do. However I do feel this was a good project to end the semester on because it required the skills we learned and obtained from the previous two as well as from the book chapters. Lastly, it was a tad more demanding than the other two because this one was worth DOUBLE the points. :O

2 comments:

  1. Hi John!

    This sounds like a very interesting observation. I work at a school as an Instructional Assistant and many of our students are ELL learners. These children come from families where English is not spoken at home and all of thier knowledge of English comes from school.

    I am also pursuing my credential in the fall to become an elementary school teacher and I am gald that we have to take specific classes to address the needs of English Language Learners because there are so many little students in the Bay Area that need these services because of the diversity.

    I agree with you when you say this assignment sheet wasnt as detailed or specific as the other 2 papers - so I hope that I met all of the requirements of the task!

    I bet your paper was very interesting! But I also bet that you are glad to be done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John, I just like to say that I understand how you felt about the assignment. This assignment helped me prove my thinking skills and apply the knowledge I learned about these concepts and apply them to a real observation group. I feel that each of these papers and projects we have did lead us up to the final project of such detail. For instance, the first assignment was picking our own concepts we wanted to discuss about, the second one was a movie analysis where we was giving the topic and we had to use concepts to discuss it to a real life, and lastly this project was meant to show how these concepts play about in a real outside group observation. I learned so much out of my small groups from how diversity, gender, and leader qualities play a role in how small groups run. Seeing and observing made me realize we don’t catch the actions we tend to do while participating in small groups until we step back and be the observer of a group. Our tendency is commonly known and can be justified with a simple concept. On the other hand, I enjoyed this project but it was good that you got to take part in such an experience as seeing something educational.

    ReplyDelete