Friday, May 14, 2010

16.1

1). How does CMC differ from f2f communication? (Think outside the box).

I think with f2f communication we are better communicators and it is easier to understand the other person we're communicating with as well. For example, when we engage in CMC we are missing out on so much from if we were communicating f2f. In CMC we cannot see nonverbal communication, both facial and body language, which we all know makes up for the majority of how we communicate. So with CMC we are only getting a small percentage of the message. I have experienced many times being misunderstand or misunderstanding someone's intention because of CMC (ie, text message, AIM, etc). Sarcasm for one flies over our heads in CMC and is very hard to create in CMC. Also with text messaging or AIM your emotions you can show is limited to: :) (happy), :( (sad), :O (shocked), etc and you always have to remember to type those "emotions" out. Where in f2f communication that kind of stuff is automatic without even thinking about it through our tone of voice, natural facial expression, body language, etc. I feel sort of hypocritical though since most of my communication with friends is through CMC for convenience, but I must admit many times after sending a text message my friends will call me up and say "what did you mean by that?" LOL, and vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment